The grocery store aisles are full of different type of cereals options. As moms, we often want to get our kids the best tasty cereal, the more colorful box or the one which looks more appealing to our children eyes and we sometimes forget to pay more attention to the nutrition information of cereals. The reality is that as there are plenty of healthy cereals, there are even more unhealthy ones which we sometimes buy thinking we made the best shopping choice.
Here is a simple and easy list of tips to remember when shopping for cereals at the grocery store. Choose a nutritious cereal which:
- It’s made of whole grains not only whole wheat,
- It has 3 grams or more of protein per serving,
- It has 3 grams or more of fiber per serving,
- It has maximum 6 grams of sugar per serving.
Read carefully the Ingredients List which is normally located at the bottom of the food label and COMPLETELY AVOID cereals which contain:
- Hydrogenated oils
- Artificial Colors or preservatives,
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
by Karla Leal, Certified Health Coach